Anyone try DMSO?

Just wondering if anyone has tried it? I used to drink MSM which is also known as dmso2. I know it has anti inflammatory properties.

I used to see a Dr at ohsu (Oregon health sciences university) that was researching DMSO and MSM. I went in for several injections of purified DMSO. It was a long time ago. It is supposed to help with inflammation of soft tissues, muscles, tendons… I know when I start using it, I feel like I just took a diuretic as it pulls the water out of the tissues. I knew a man with severe arthritis. That was back in 1980 before they had much for RA.

I bought MSM at the feed store before they made it for human consumption I used to mix a scoopful in a glass of water and chug it down…it is very bitter!

I have also tried DMSO. It is a strange thing. It thaws at 64 degrees Fahrenheit. It is solid until then. It smells like a combinations of garlic and clams IMO. If you use it beware that you will start to reek of fish!

Phew!

I have received DMSO thru a catheter for interstitial cystitis over 13 yrs ago. It worked well but then I became pregnant & couldn't get it anymore. Def makes you smell like garlic!!! While I was pregnant they switched me to heparin.

I didn't know they could inject DMSO!

Hotmama…the clinic at OHSU seriously purified the DMSO to where there was no odor! I think that is where they started was with interstitial cystitis. I know it was a godsend for the people that got it. Mine was back pain from osteo arthritis.

I guess I haven't or I would know what MSM or dmso2 is. But I am interested to find out - what is that?

I have been using 50% DMSO and 50% MSM for years to treat knee pain. The pain has totally disappeared. Recently, I stopped using it for a few months to see if anything changes & it did. I began having twinges of knee pain again. I went right back to using my mixture and within a few days it was totally gone.

I have never taken this orally.

Lin- where do you get these at? I would like to see if I can try this, I have been having terrible knee pain lately, enough that it will wake me up at night. Is this safe to take if you are on a string of prescription meds?

gtrembley

When I first heard about the healing/anti-inflammatory properties of DMSO, I visited Dr. Jacob's web site and ordered the DMSO/MSM already mixed from them. I started with a 50% solution and worked my way up. Since it became rather expensive, I decided to buy the liquid MSM at the health food store and I went to the feed store and bought the 99.9% pure, 90% gel. I saved the bottles from Dr. Jacob's products and mixed 50% of MSM & 50% of DMSO gel and started to use that. It worked just as well as the pre-mixed Dr. Jacob product. I started using this product 2-3x a day, but now I just use it once a day before bed.

DMSO drives the MSM into the joint. Before I use any of this, I make sure to first wash my hands & then I wash my knees using cotton balls & distilled water. If I don't, then any bacteria on my hands/knees will be driven into my skin too, which would not be a good thing for obvious reasons.

DMSO has been used for many years by horse owners to relieve the horses of shin splints and knee joint problems.

I figured, if it works for horses, it will work for people....and it did.

This is my solution and I am telling you what I do & what worked for me. It is not FDA approved & I am not a doctor.

I do NOT ingest this product. It is for topical application ONLY!

Thank you Lin for your reply! Does your application make you smell fishy? When I used the straight DMSO in the past it made me smell like fish. I was working as an aide in a deaf program and people would come in the room and ask if we were cooking fish =\

It did help me a lot with pain.

HI folks.

I am interested in whether the topical form of DMSO (the variety for human consumption that has impurities removed) has been useful for your EM-related swelling, redness and burning or just for joint pain?

Being on Lyrica has caused pitting edema as well as swelling in the soles of my feet (it used to be on the top of my feet and toes only) and I'd like to find something that would help with the swelling because it has seriously reduced my mobility and has increased low level flares.

Cheers,

Dragica

HI Tizzy.

Thanks so much for your reply. While I had some swelling from EM before medication, the pitting edema started only when we titrated the dosage of Lyrica from 50mg/day to 100mg (the level necessary to get pain relief at night). The swelling goes away at night--comes back after standing. My kidney and other tests are normal. For now it's something I need to live with. On the online support sites for Lyrica, edema seems to be pretty common. When we recently decided to increase the dose of Lyrica to 125mg/ day because 100mg wasn't holding me through the night, that 's when the swelling really became worse (on the soles of my feet--which was new). So,I've had to decrease the dose and the swelling has also decreased. I'm now at 106.25mg/day and I think that dose will work. I've had an infection (from splinter in my left foot) and this has caused flaring and more swelling. Once that subsides, my MD has suggested adding a very small dose of Cymbalta (about 1mg/day) and titrate from there. Hopefully, if Cymbalta works, we can decrease the dose of Lyrica. I am keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Dragica

Pitting oedema is something you may want to get checked out as it can be a sign of underlying kidney ( often) or heart problem , particularly in relation to the kidneys ability to process salt.Rarely Lyrica may cause puffiness - so maybe Lyrica is not doing your general health any favours if the swelling is pitting??? Walking in a deep pool,compression stockings,elevation and massage are generally useful to bring down swelling.Pitting oedema is more stubborn and may need a combination. I am sorry you are dealing with this as I know swelling makes Em worse, I just feel we have so many issues with Em it is easy to ascribe symptoms to it,or if it is Lyrica and kidney etc are ok maybe this has stayed into an unacceptable side effect and another path would be better?

Dragica said:

HI folks.

I am interested in whether the topical form of DMSO (the variety for human consumption that has impurities removed) has been useful for your EM-related swelling, redness and burning or just for joint pain?

Being on Lyrica has caused pitting edema as well as swelling in the soles of my feet (it used to be on the top of my feet and toes only) and I'd like to find something that would help with the swelling because it has seriously reduced my mobility and has increased low level flares.

Cheers,

Dragica

Please discuss with your physician before considering experimenting with DMSO. According to the Arthiritis Foundation, there can be some fairly severe side effects and contraindications:

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/supplements-herbs/guide/dmso.php