Bursas go hand in hand with erythromelalgia?

I haven’t seen any discussions on bursas and was wondering if anyone experienced similar issues? For the past year I’ve had erythromelalgia symptoms, but only recently I did I get a bursa for the first time in my knee. I didn’t experience an injury or excessive kneeling or anything. My doctor said that based on the lack of injury or cause, he didn’t feel comfortable draining it as it would cause further infection. It’s been almost 2 weeks and while my bursa isn’t as large, my knee is black (from the bursa receding I suppose)? And my thigh/calf is very tender. The tenderness/pain increases whenever my foot flares as well.

I just can’t seem to heal regardless of how much I rest. Does anyone else experience bursitis with erythromelalgia? I’ve asked if the two are interconnected and haven’t heard any answers or theories. I’ll be going to the Mayo Clinic in about a month and will have plenty of questions then, but until then I seem to have the most issues with this!

Interesting Post.

I have had Bursitus in the hips for years and had lots of Cortizone (might be spelt wrong) injections but recently has cleared up. I think I stopped having the injections when I got EM. I never put the two together till now. Would be interesting to know who else has it or had it.

My calfs are very very painful and like you the pain get worse with flares.
Do you feel as if you have very tight mussles in the ankles and feet? Its almost like wearing a very tight wet sock.
Iris

Hi Dalkola & Iris
A bursa is a normal anatomical structure in front of the knee cap (pre patellar bursa), side of the hip (trochanteric bursa), under the shoulder blade (sub acromial bursa) and on the point of the elbow (olecranon bursa).
A bursa is an empty sac that allows for free movement of the skin overlying a bony prominence.
They can become inflamed usually when bumped or irritated by excessive movement. In these instances it’s called “bursitis”
which is usually inflammatory ie sometimes hot and painful filled with inflammatory cells, usually a yellow colour. Very rarely they can be infected, and most will settle with rest and if necessary anti inflammatory medication can be given, depending on severity. Less commonly local steroid injections will be used as mentioned. If troublesome they can be drained.
If it’s behind the knee that’s usually a Baker’s cyst which is different to a bursa. If a Baker’s cyst ruptures the fluid can track down the back of the calf.
It usually requires careful examination by your doctor to confirm what it is & to exclude more serious conditions such as an aneurysm (rare), or a blood clot (eg DVT, a deep venous thrombosis in the veins running up the back of the lower leg, which could spread above the knee if it was worse, although in my experience it is rare to do so. A DVT not uncommonly can break off and cause an embolism to the lungs)

As far as I’m aware bursitis is not due to EM, but since bursitis is so common they could easily co exist.

Hope that makes sense as back ground clarification. I can’t diagnose without examining, so obviously this requires seeing your doctor, as you have done.

Stan

Aside from the hip bursitis, painful calves and thighs would be uncommonly due to bursitis. It’s more likely there is another explanation that requires medical consultation.

As mentionned most bursitis is inflammation, without infection.

Thank you Stan. Going to the Dr today to get more meds so will talk to him. I have been in such pain lately, something needs to be done about the severe electric shocks.
Iris

I’ve developed bunions from being barefoot or in sandals all the time so my podiatrist put me in these lace up ankle braces (front half of my feet are exposed so hey don’t cause any flares for me) and it’s helping a ton. I wonder if there’s some sort of preventative measure for bursas like these braces.