Do you break out in sores from your EM?

Do you have sores the are obviously below and above your skin??? Do they feel like someone is putting out a lit match to the sore???? Does it insanely itch at other times? I had this last year for months. I had hundreds of these, everywhere. They're coming back, slowly.

I had to take steroids and put on this special perscription ointment on them...it took months for them to clear.

Yeah, I sometimes break out in little tiny blisters on my hands and feet and they occasionally itch like crazy too… Mine started out with a terrible rash on my feet…

Yes, this happens to me, too. I've always referred to them as "blisters" but I don't know that that's really what they are. They usually only appear on my big toe - how weird is that? Right now both my feet are in the worst flare they've had in a couple years and my left big toe has a few of these sores. They itch, but if I scratch them, it hurts - bad!!!!

That sounds like what the shingles virus causes when the immune system becomes weakened. It usually goes away in 7 to 10 days. However, I also get red rashes when my feet are flaring up

Yeah, I looked at pictures of people with shingles and it looks like that but mine are waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger. I had them biopsied and the dx was that it was related to my lupus. But, still not sure if it was really EM.

Brian said:

That sounds like what the shingles virus causes when the immune system becomes weakened. It usually goes away in 7 to 10 days. However, I also get red rashes when my feet are flaring up

Is your EM secondary to Lupus? When I was finally diagnosed with EM, I was tested for Lupus. My test came back negative, but just barely. I’ve wondered for some time now if I actually have it.

Butterfly on Fire said:

Yeah, I looked at pictures of people with shingles and it looks like that but mine are waaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger. I had them biopsied and the dx was that it was related to my lupus. But, still not sure if it was really EM.

Brian said:

My EM was secondary that started after I had 3 different surgeries on my foot for a neuroma that never really healed up correctly. Then the left foot started to burn and turn red. Then the pain spread to my leg and now when I get stressed, the hands and ears and feet all turn red and feel hot. Sometimes the bad foot will swell so much that I can't put on a shoe. This has gone on for years ( since 2001 ). It took a long time before a doctor diagnosed what I had going on as Erythromelalgia. Pain meds help and sometimes an asperin will help.

MarshaK said:

Is your EM secondary to Lupus? When I was finally diagnosed with EM, I was tested for Lupus. My test came back negative, but just barely. I've wondered for some time now if I actually have it.

Butterfly on Fire said:

Brian said:

Sorry to hear that. :(

I don't really know if my EM is secondary to the lupus. I never have been officially dx with the EM. It's just through my research and that I'm dx from. Also, when I tell the doc's that I have EM, they never ever dissagree. They always dissagree with other stuff. So, I take it that they believe me on the EM dx.

I wish the shingles only lasted 7 -10 days. Having now entered my 4th week with this particular virus I am still in pain which goes nicely with the pain of EM, not!! However, I am lucky in that I don't get the rashes you describe which must drive you mad.

Tilly

Brian said:

Sorry to hear you have shingles Tilly, I remember how rubbish that made me feel. Has the doctor given you anti viral meds to stop the spread going any further. I was lucky enough to catch mine early and didn't get any more spots after a couple days of starting the anti virals. Hoep you feel better very soon xx