Does being overweight make symptoms worse?

I have put on 2 stones in the past 2 years due to lack of exercise. Unfortunately I don’t swim and my favourite exercise was walking the dog in the hills of the Scottish Borders but I can’t do that now! I am trying to diet but it’s hard to get motivated when eating and drinking is one of life’s pleasures!
If I thought losing weight would really help it would motive me me to try harder. Does anyone have any experience of losing weight and did it help?

Hi Stardust

Like you one of the main things I miss is walking. I am not certain about this, but I do think my EM is better if I am lighter and fitter (I do some pilates adapted to not being able to stand or put pressure on my legs) and also if I eat less huge meals and do not eat too much starch. I seem to be better if I have my starches in a wholefoods type breakfast and then do protein and veg for the rest of the day. Am about to go on Pregabalin but am worried about the mind altering effect plus the effect on appetite.

Cheers now

ajh

I think this is a hard one for most because I know that before diagnosis I was told to cut down on exercise and therefore gained weight. The meds I was on didn't help either because they exacerbated the weight gain. I gained fitness through cycling because that's something I could do with burning or numb lower legs and managed to lose weight. My symptoms have been up and down over the years and my weights gone up and down like a yo yo too, from 7 half stone to 9 half stone. I didn't notice that the pain getting better coincided with my weight but more to do with how far I could push through the pain to help my fitness at the time. Not sure if this makes much sense, been suffering sever fatigue lately.

Good point!

Interested to see also.

My sister is skinny and has EM, the other sister is overwieght and my mom thinks being thin is the answer to everything.

I have put on weight gradually over last 7 yrs. I am sure it doesn't help me from an energy or liver health stand point so it could help my overall health to reduce. I am trying to eat the evening meal with no meat, just a bean dish and the weight is dropping gradually with that and Im sleeping better (got to be good for EM). Its better for the liver to have no more meat after 5pm very latest. The liver/kidney health is the source of vitality according to asian tradition and it needs to be long done processing meat by 1 am to do its clean cycle, meat is a long time in digestive tract. I am now in France so the main meal is at lunch and I allow animal products at that meal only

Dear Laura, So sorry about all you've been going through lately! You have been a steady inspiration to me!

Sorry about the new illness!!

lauraflora1 said:

I think this is a hard one for most because I know that before diagnosis I was told to cut down on exercise and therefore gained weight. The meds I was on didn't help either because they exacerbated the weight gain. I gained fitness through cycling because that's something I could do with burning or numb lower legs and managed to lose weight. My symptoms have been up and down over the years and my weights gone up and down like a yo yo too, from 7 half stone to 9 half stone. I didn't notice that the pain getting better coincided with my weight but more to do with how far I could push through the pain to help my fitness at the time. Not sure if this makes much sense, been suffering sever fatigue lately.