Experiences of Tramadol please

I am takingTramadol to help with the pain (and sleeplessness). I have found that it takes anything up to two hours before I get any relief. Is this normal? Any input gratefully received.

Tillyp

I took 100mg last night for the first time. I took about an hour to work, but it actually kept me the entire night and I even took an ambien. 14 hours later I feel nauseas and dizzy. Bummed b/c it actually did help w/the pain, but I can’t feel like this and be up all night. Anyone else have experiences with it? My pharmacist friend did say Id probably get used to it over time.

I tried Tramadol and it did nothing for my pain.So my dr changed it to Vicodin.It does pretty good she also put me on Palmelor to help me sleep because I was afraid of Ambian.

My wife takes Zopiclone to help her sleep and it works great , however she takes nothing for her pain.

Thank you Jodie,

I get a slight feeling of nausea after about an hour but it passes in minutes so I can handle that. I don't so much as sleep as drift in and out but it does relax me enough to rest. Can't take many of the pain meds as they make my breathing worse (emphysema) so I'm a bit limited. I also take paracetamol at the same time as the tramadol as they don't interact.Sorry that the nausea seems bad for you. Perhaps it will ease once it has got into your system. Ginger is good for alleviating nausea.

Jodie said:

I took 100mg last night for the first time. I took about an hour to work, but it actually kept me the entire night and I even took an ambien. 14 hours later I feel nauseas and dizzy. Bummed b/c it actually did help w/the pain, but I can't feel like this and be up all night. Anyone else have experiences with it? My pharmacist friend did say Id probably get used to it over time.

Hello Gary, I have tried zopiclone but it affects my breathing too much. Worked ok though.
Gary A Morris said:

My wife takes Zopiclone to help her sleep and it works great , however she takes nothing for her pain.

Thanks crazygrandma,

I can't take other pain meds due to side effects on my breathing. Tramadol is not so effective as the other pain/sleep meds and I have to take it at least two hours before bed before getting any relief. Even then it takes another couple of hours before I finally can relax enough to get some rest.

crazygrandma said:

I tried Tramadol and it did nothing for my pain.So my dr changed it to Vicodin.It does pretty good she also put me on Palmelor to help me sleep because I was afraid of Ambian.

I had similar side effects to Jodie but it did the opposite with regards to sleep. I feel asleep after being driven home from work and slept all afternoon and night. I woke up still feeling sick. I was told that my body would get used to it but I couldn't feel that bad for 2 weeks while my body got used to it.