Medication

Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with EM and my consultant put me on Nifedipine has anyone tried it if so does it work, he also told me that this is the only medication that may work if anyone has tried things that do, may or may not work please let me know .

thanks

Keeley

I have tried this and it makes it worse in my opinion

Yes I have tried it -made mine worse.Its really trial & error to find something that helps you.It also helps if you have sympathetic doctor who is willing to help you.So far I have tried 8 different meds with no relief so far from this burning hell.best of luck huni you have my sympathy.keep going and don't give up x

There are quite a few medications that EM patients are given to try… It’s a bit trial and error tho because there’s not one thing that work for everybody. I’ve had it for over 4 years and still trialling combinations… Good luck

lauraflora1 said:

There are quite a few medications that EM patients are given to try... It's a bit trial and error tho because there's not one thing that work for everybody. I've had it for over 4 years and still trialling combinations... Good luck

EMjudy said:from webMD

Nifedipine for Preterm Labor

Examples

Generic Name Brand Name
nifedipine Adalat CC, Procardia

Nifedipine is a tocolytic medicine sometimes used during preterm labor to slow uterine contractions. Nifedipine is taken only by mouth (orally) as a tablet or capsule.

Use of nifedipine for the treatment of preterm labor is an unlabeled use of the drug. Nifedipine, a calcium channel blocker, is more commonly used to treat high blood pressure and heart disease.

How It Works

Smooth muscle tissue, like the uterus, needs calcium to contract. Nifedipine blocks the passage of calcium into certain tissues, relaxing the uterine muscles and smooth muscles of blood vessels throughout the body.

Why It Is Used

Nifedipine is used to treat preterm labor when:

• Regular contractions of the uterus have thinned (effaced) the cervix and opened (dilated) it less than 4 cm, and the mother's amniotic sac has not broken.
  • The mother is healthy.
  • The fetus is alive and not in distress.
  • Labor needs to be delayed for 24 to 48 hours. This delay is typically needed with corticosteroid treatment to help fetal lungs mature. Sometimes labor is delayed so the mother can be moved to a hospital with special facilities for treating premature infants.
  • Beta-sympathetic medicines (such as terbutaline) have not stopped uterine contractions.
  • Treatment with other tocolytic medicines was stopped because of side effects.

How Well It Works

Small studies so far show that nifedipine may work better than other drugs to slow or stop preterm labor, with fewer problems for newborns.1

Side Effects

All medicines have side effects. But many people don't feel the side effects, or they are able to deal with them. Ask your pharmacist about the side effects of each medicine you take. Side effects are also listed in the information that comes with your medicine.

Here are some important things to think about:

• Usually the benefits of the medicine are more important than any minor side effects.
  • Side effects may go away after you take the medicine for a while.
  • If side effects still bother you and you wonder if you should keep taking the medicine, call your doctor. He or she may be able to lower your dose or change your medicine. Do not suddenly quit taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to.

Call911or other emergency services right away if you have:

Common side effects of this medicine include:

See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)

What To Think About

Taking medicine

Medicine is one of the many tools your doctor has to treat a health problem. Taking medicine as your doctor suggests will improve your health and may prevent future problems. If you don't take your medicines properly, you may be putting your health (and perhaps your life) at risk.

There are many reasons why people have trouble taking their medicine. But in most cases, there is something you can do. For suggestions on how to work around common problems, see the topic Taking Medicines as Prescribed.

Advice for women

When you are pregnant or breast-feeding, do not use any medicines unless your doctor tells you to. Some medicines can harm your baby. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, herbs, and supplements. And make sure that all your doctors know that you are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Checkups

Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.

Complete the new medication information form (PDF) to help you understand this medication.

Citations

1. Haas DM (2010). Preterm birth, search date June 2009. Online version of BMJ Clinical Evidence: http://www.clinicalevidence.com. good luck and peace be with you!

lauraflora1 said:

There are quite a few medications that EM patients are given to try... It's a bit trial and error tho because there's not one thing that work for everybody. I've had it for over 4 years and still trialling combinations... Good luck

That is true, different things help us differently although we have the same condition. Some that are definitely worth trying are Tegretol, Gabapentin, I’ve heard of Magnesium pills helping and if push comes to shove I heard morphine helps some people too. I’ve tried almost everything for 21 years (since I was born) and nothing’s completely helped so we’re all different. Once I find a new dr. I will be mentioning that medication to them so thanks for that! :slight_smile: Btw don’t give up if doctors give up on you because it will happen trust me, because this disease is so rare. But I wish you soo much luck!!!

I took calcium-channel blockers up until the time I was diagnosed with EM. I was reading some info from Dr.Davis at the Mayo clinic and it states, to NOT take any calcium-channel blockers.

I asked my Dr about this and sure enough he had over looked this fact.

My BP was always good when I took calcium-channel blockers but my feet BURNED worse, So after 2 years they still try to regulate my BP without calcium-channel blockers.

I will finally get to see Dr Davis around February. I've been put on the list and around that time is the soonest I can get in.

I've filed for divorce, so I'm losing my insurance right around that time.

In preparation, I've gone off ALL meds, for everything.

I am watching my diet closely and trying to keep from doing things that cause flares, although I'm sure most of you know, in the end, there really is no rhyme or reason for most of the flare ups.

So, how has it been going for me? I've found that in using mind over matter, the really worst times are turning out to be as bad as when I was on all the different meds. Yeah, I lose sleep. Yes, the pain/burning is off the chart. I spray water on them, keep them up, blow the fan on them, and it passes.

Any pay off?

Pleasantly yes! The meds, after I felt the withdrawl finally end, is I cannot believe how clear my head is. I can think!

I can concentrate. Especially now with dealing with divorce, I need my thinking cap to be working.

So, as I continue to search out supplements (upped my tumeric and cinnanmon, others known to lower blood pressure, etc...) to use instead, I'm sticking with where I am.

The only real question I have for Dr Davis is progression. If I do things to cause flares, will it continue to get worse. If I try to keep them from flaring, like avoiding the heat of summer as much as possible, does it help it not get worse? Will I end up in a wheel chair?

I'm just accepting this hideous situation with every positive fiber in my body. I don't want it to rule my life like it has since I've learned what's going on. Very scary when you first learn this is what's been going on for years and no doctor could help.

If there's anyone in my situation and you have any ideas that are not about doctors and insurance, like supplements, etc.... I'd like to learn from you.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to all those seeking relief.