Question about Ketamine 10%, Gabapentin 6%, Lidocaine 10% gel

I was prescribed Ketamine 10%, Gabapentin 6%, Lidocaine 10% gel yesterday and I wanted to see if anyone has had good results with this product? Also, if this considered an opiate? I just want to make sure that it's not because I don't want to take any narcotic. I'd love to hear your experiences :)

Hi Melanie, I did try the following concoction about 3 years ago:

• Ketamine 10%m Gabapentin 6% Lidocaine 2% Clonidine .05%

It didn't help my pain at all so there wasn't any tweaking to the formula. I don't think it's considered an opiate. It does get into your blood stream but the amount is minuscule - from what I understand. The amount of med can be that small because it's being applied directly to the painful region. It would be worth a try because it does help relieve some kinds of pain. Keep trying and I hope you are able to find some relief.

Hi Melanie!

I've never tried any thing like those, but I can tell you what they are!

Ketamin is a pain med (an analgesic) for neuropathic pain (more chronic pain)

Gabapentin is actually an anti-seizure medication that's very often used to treat neuropathic pain (for seizures, it'd be taken by mouth, of course)

Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (same stuff they give you at the dentist, but different dose and is a gel that you put on your skin).

None of those are opiates, nor should they create any problem one might associate with narcotics, especially since you'll be putting it on your skin instead of in your body. They are all some type of anesthetic or analgesic, used to reduce pain signals from the body to the brain. Whether or not they work for you depends on your body, but they may work for you. I think it's good to get people's opinions on drugs, and I'd definitely ask, but I'd also encourage you to try them yourself too, since you never know what'd work best. My suggestion would be to take what other people say and bring that to your doctor as concerns you might have about it. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor if you are uncomfortable with what he/she wants to prescribe or you have important questions or concerns about it. Hopefully you have a good doctor who will take the time to listen and talk you through it! (it's astonishing how we're taught to be patient focused and then never spend time with them! haha.)

I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions about drugs, feel free to ask. I don't know much yet, but I have great resources to use and I'd be happy to help you (or anyone else)

Good luck! I hope you find some relief :)

Ok thanks for your responses guys. I figured it's not an opiate, and my doc said it wasn't but I just felt more comfortable hearing it from someone else. I'm in Nursing school, so I know all about gabapentin and lidocaine, but ketamine not as much. Especially knowing that they use that in veterinary medicine.

I got the gel this morning, applied it twice today to my feet, I didn't notice anything and I ended up resorting to ice to ease the pain. What do you do for you pain? Have you found anything that's effective?, or do you have/know of any great doctors that know about EM? If I can't find one in Orlando, or even the state of Florida as a whole, I would probably travel wherever to find a good EM doctor. Are you mainly seen by cardiovascular docs? I'm going to the Mayo Clinic in a few weeks, so hopefully I will have some success, since this condition is such an anomaly. I'm new on this site and am slowly figuring my way around the site, so if you have any pointers, I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks